This program is supported by:
the 2022 Program is currently running
The Hunter Academy of Sport (HAS) Indoor Volleyball Program plays a vital role in the VNSW pathway by identifying, monitoring, and developing the skills of young volleyball players. Working closely with our neighbouring academies as part of Regional Academies of Sport (RASi), members of the squad will be exposed to expert coaching services, and sport specific education in areas such as strength and conditioning and nutrition.
We have worked closely with the State Sporting Organisation, Volleyball NSW, and the Hunter Volleyball Association (HVA), to develop the HAS Indoor Volleyball Program. This program will assist our athletes in taking the next step in their sporting careers. The program will be conducted from March to August 2022.
The main objective is to prepare and provide an opportunity for athletes to progress into the 2022 Youth Phoenix Program, including:
- Provide localised quality training for athletes and coaches across Sydney Metro and Regional NSW (previously delivered only through the centralised State Team program)
- Increase the education level of athletes through access to strength & conditioning services and sports education (e.g. nutrition, psychology)
- Increase the education level of coaches through the development of a combined coaching cohort, with State-wide content led by VNSW
- Provide a regional level representative championship opportunity within NSW
- Provide an opportunity for talent identification throughout NSW and therefore engage with more individuals
Eligibility & Financial Information
Suitable athletes must fit the following criteria to trial:
- Hold a valid VNSW Membership
- Attend a trial for their Academy
- Fit the following age categories:
- Under 15: Aged 12-14 in 2022 (i.e. born between 2008-2010)
- Under 18: Aged 15-17 in 2022 (i.e. born between 2005-2007)
Please note: We are also taking expressions of interest for U19s age groups (Aged 18 in 2022 i.e. born between 2004-2005) should space allow within the program. Athletes are encouraged to nominate and will be informed if they are eligible to trial. Athletes selected in this age group will be eligible for all HAS training and competitions, however may not be eligible for all Hunter Volleyball Tour activities.
Program Fees and Inclusions
- Academy Games Tour
The first part of the program will include a training session prior to the Academy Games Tour to Wagga Wagga on 8th – 10th April 2022.
The cost of the tour is $260 + gst and includes all travel, accommodation, meals and tournament entry. The squads will travel (Early departure on Friday 8th April) and compete on Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th April as part of the 2022 Your local Club Academy Games.
- Volleyball Program
The program fee for 2022 is still TBC and will be invoiced by VNSW, which covers the following items:
- Court training
- HAS Education Program
- Fitness testing
- Sport specific strength & conditioning coaching
- Venue hire
- RASi Volleyball Tournament
At the conclusion of the Volleyball Program, athletes are invited to compete in a 2-day tournament for all Academy programs across NSW, which will be hosted at Netball Central in Sydney on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th of August.
The cost of this tournament and travel requirements is still TBC.
- Hunter Volleyball Program Tour extension
Following on from the RASi program concluding in August, selected athletes will be invited to attend tour opportunities and represent Hunter Volleyball teams in targeted events. A separate levy will apply (subsidised by Hunter Volleyball).
- 2 x intensive training sessions during October/November
- State Cup Youth tournament attendance in Sydney 20th November (Netball Central) (own transport to & from)
- Good Neighbour tournament in Canberra 26-27th November (venue tbc) including group transport, accommodation
Athletes will undertake a minimum of 18 hours court training delivered by VNSW endorsed and accredited coaches. Athletes will be educated based on a curriculum developed by VNSW in reference to the Volleyball Australia coaching manual.
The exact times & dates for court activities are still to be confirmed and at this stage will be based in Newcastle on Saturdays or Sundays in May-August.
Athletes will undertake a minimum of 8 hours of strength and conditioning, and 8 hours of athlete education, delivered by RASi endorsed and accredited coaches and presenters. Athletes will be educated based on a curriculum developed by the Hunter Academy of Sport.
Topics to be delivered will include (but are not limited to):
- Injury Prevention & Management
- Drugs in Sport
- Cyber Safety
- Sports Psychology
The schedule of education will be communicated through the Hunter Academy of Sport upon selection.
We are currently working with Hunter Volleyball so that one playing uniform can be utilised throughout all above program components for the year. As soon as we have more information regarding uniforms, we will update selected athletes.
2022 Hunter Academy of Sport Girls Squad