International Children's Games 2022
To apply to be a member of Team Lake Macquarie 2022 please complete the application form HERE by Monday, 10th January.
Download flyer HERE
What are the International Children’s Games (ICG)?
The International Children’s Games were founded in 1968 in Celje, Slovenia to ‘enable, develop, and advance the meeting, understanding and friendship of students from different countries and promote the Olympic ideal’.
The Games brings together an alliance of cities and individuals from around the globe who have a common goal of forming friendships and peace through sport.
Lake Macquarie was the first City in the southern hemisphere to host the games, winning the bid in 2010 to host the 48th Summer International Children’s Games in December 2014, which was an exciting opportunity for our region and state and an abundance of success for the City.
The 54th International Children's Games will be held over five days from the 11th - 16th August, 2022 in Coventry, England. Lake Macquarie City Council in partnership with the Hunter Academy of Sport will be sending Team Lake Macquarie to the Games.
As part of the 2022 Games Team Lake Macquarie selection, we are calling for expression of interest from athletes and coaches in the following sports:
- Athletics (Track and Field)
ICG provides a unique opportunity for young local athletes to compete in international competition, make new friends and through a shared love of sport, develop an understanding and respect for people from other cultures.
For more information on the 2022 International Childrens Games please visit their official website www.coventryicg2022.org
2020 Team Lake Macquarie in Ufa, Russia.
Conditions of Entry:
- All athletes must be 12 through 15 years old to participate in the Games born in 2007, 2008, 2009. Athletes must be 12 years old by the 1st of January 2022 and must still be 15 years old on 31st December 2022
- Entry is restricted to those athletes who reside in the Lake Macquarie LGA, or athletes who attend school in that LGA
- Athletes must be of a member of a local club and be competing regularly in their sport
- Athletes must be able to show evidence of achievement of a notable personal best performance
- Where more athletes have applied than positions available in the team, the age of the athlete and future ICG opportunity will be taken into consideration as well as recorded performance
- Selection is at full discretion of the Lake Macquarie City Council ICG committee
- The decision over selection made by the ICG committee will be final and there will be no process for appeal
We are seeking experienced coaches to volunteer for the role of Head Coach Team Lake Macquarie in each of the above sports. You will be involved in the recruitment and team selection and supervision of the athletes for the duration of the Games, which will include staying onsite at the athlete’s village. You will also be required to attend team meetings and liaise with the ICG 2022 Technical Committee.
What are the Costs to Attend?
A quote has been given for an approximate value of around $4500-$5000 per athlete.
This levy will include the following:
- Coach transfer from Lake Mac Council to Sydney Airport
- Flights with Singapore Airlines Sydney to UK including taxes
- 2 nights accomodation in London, including breakfast
- 48 hour London Bus hop on/off ticket
- 5 nights at the Athletes Village in Convetry, all means included
- Transfers to/from London Airport & London - Coventry
Athlete/coach costs for meals, accommodation and transportation are covered by the host city for the duration of the Games.
Firm costings will be known when final numbers are determined. Athletes will also be required to purchase uniform.
Athletes - To register your interest for this opportunity, please apply online HERE
Coaches - please email your expression of interest with details of relevant experience to email@example.com.
Applications will close on Monday, Jan 10th, 2022.