This program is supported by:
The Hunter Academy of Sport (HAS) hockey program plays a vital role in the Hockey NSW pathway by identifying, monitoring and developing the skills of young hockey players.
The HAS hockey program forms an underpinning program for the Hockey NSW Athlete Acceleration Program (AAP) that can see athletes progress through the athlete pathway and be given the support they need to progress to the next level. Members of the squad will be exposed to expert coaching services, and sport specific education in areas such as, physiotherapy and nutrition.
Athlete Eligibility Criteria
- 16-18 year olds in 2022 (born in 2007, 2006 or 2005)
- Not a scholarship holder in the Hockey NSW Athlete Acceleration Program (AAP) for the same term.
- Selected based on the Academy’s defined local government boundaries (HAS accepts athletes outside of our LGAs if your Academy is not offering a program)
- Must reside and/or go to school or play, in these areas to qualify for selection. With residential being the primary selection criteria.
- All athletes are to be registered Hockey NSW athletes with an Association in NSW being the primary Association
- Athletes can only be scholarship holders in one Academy and the scholarships are based on an annual basis.
The following benefits will apply to those selected in the hockey program:
- Over 30 hours of Skill Development
- Minimum 6 hours of Athlete Education Including Nutrition and Sport Psychology
- Fitness Testing and Strength and Conditioning Program
- Targeted Goal Keeper Coaching
- Your Local Club Academy Games (Selected Athletes only)
- Inter-Academy Training Days/Camps
A program and uniform levy will be applicable to selected athletes
A draft Program Calendar will be added here soon. Please keep an eye on this page for further updates.
It is intended for Trials to be held in September as soon as updated local hockey fixtures have been finalised.
Sessions are planned predominantly for Sundays approximately 1-2 times per month. The full program runs from October 2021 - April 2022 concluding with the Academy Games tournament in Wagga Wagga where a team will be selected from the squad to attend.
Please note: All Program dates are subject to change as we continue to closely monitor all Public Health orders and changing protocols. We will endeavour to provide as much notice as possible for alll changes to scheduled sessions.
2022/23 UAA Hunter Academy of Sport Girls Hockey Squad
2022/23 UAA Hunter Academy of Sport Boys Hockey Squad
The aim of this program is to upskill regional umpires and assist their progression up the umpire pathway. The HAS hockey umpire program provides support for talent umpires to access quality education and development opportunities delivered by professional and specialised service providers. This program is supported and endorsed by Hockey NSW.
- Umpires must by turning 15, 16, 17 or 18 years old in 2022 (born in 2007, 2006, 2005 or 2004)
- Umpires must reside or attend school in the Hunter Region
- Umpires must be working towards attaining their Level 1 Accreditation
- Demonstrate a dedication to improving performance
Benefits of the program:
- Strength and Fitness testing
- Education sessions in conjunction with the 2022 Hockey squad
- Inter-Academy Camp Invite (specific sessions for umpire development)
- Opportunity to be assessed for Level 1 Accreditation at the 2022 Academy Games
- Invitations to attend multiple HAS Hockey Training sessions or inter-academy matchplay days for development opportunities.
Cost of the program:
The 2022 hockey umpire program is heavily subsidised by Hunter Academy of Sport. A small membership levy will apply.